Black Beans and Rice
A classic southern dish with a distinctly sprouty twist.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onion - chopped
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 sweet pepper (any or all colors) - chopped
- 3 cups Black Bean Sprouts
- 2 cups Rice Sprouts - Brown Rice Sproutsa>, Red Thai Rice Sprouts, or Wehani Rice Sprouts
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 pound smoked ham or sausage (optional)
- In a large pan heat 2T olive oil - when hot, saute half of the onion, garlic bell pepper, salt, and seasoning peppers.
- When tender add the Black Bean and Rice Sprouts along with the bay leaf and water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 45 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Heat the remaining 2T olive oil in another pan and saute the meat product lightly.
- Add the remaining veggies and cook until you're happy.
Serve the meat saute over the beans + rice if you are opting for meat.