Here's a pancake recipe that's nutritious, tasty, high in protein and fiber.
- 2 egg whites, preferably at room temperature
- 1/4 cup yogurt (any type you choose)
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal or ground flax seed
- 1/4 cup mashed cooked pumpkin, or raw shredded carrot, or raw shredded apple or pear, or apple sauce - preferably at room temperature
- 1/3 cup of any pancake mix - or mix 1/3 cup of any flour with 3/4 tsp. of baking powder and 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup of sprouts - I use the red clover sprouts - I'm guessing the wheat sprouts would sweeten, and alfalfa sprouts would be a good substitute
- Mix all wet ingredients together
- Mix dry ingredients together
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture
- Spoon into skillet or pan preheated on Medium
- Flip when bubbles begin to form on the top of the pancakes
- Use an iron skillet or griddle to increase the nutritional output. If you're using olive oil, lower the flame or burner a bit so it won't burn. Makes a meal for two. You can simply top this with blueberries or whatever you like!
Submitted by our customer - Meredith Kurtz