Spiced Sprouted Beans in Mustard Sauce
This wonderful sprout recipe was created by a favorite farmers market customer of ours.
- 2 Tbs. cooking oil
- 1 Tbs. mustard seed
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp. ginger - minced or 1/4 tsp. powdered
- 1 tsp. honey or sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts - like Mung Bean, Beanie's Awesome, Christmas Present, Clem's Choice, PeaBanzo, Pea Carnival, San Francisco Mix, Spring Garden
- 1/4 cup prepared mustard
- 3 Tbs. stock or broth
- Heat wok or pan for 1 minute on high. Add the oil and heat until smoking.
- Add the mustard seeds. Cover the pan - the seeds will pop.
- Once the seeds stop popping uncover the pan and add the cumin powder, cayenne pepper, ginger, salt, and honey.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped onion and stir fry for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the Sprouts and stock or broth - simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the prepared mustard and cook for 1 more minute.
Serve over rice or noodles.
- Add more broth if want more sauce. If you need to thicken it you can stir in some liquid cornstarch (equal amounts of cornstarch and water mixed up) at the end of the simmer.
- * You can use other sprouted beans if you prefer their flavor, color, etc.
Spiced Sprouted Beans in Mustard Sauce Recipe Products